by Doug Harper - Prop Bets have gained tremendous popularity since online betting sites have started offering them. Prop bets can be made on just about any aspect of the game and they don't always rely on the outcome of the game. Prop bets are particularly popular with fantasy players, who can make prop bets on their players results.
Prop Bets - Winning
Prop bets are just like any other wager, if you know what your doing and remain disciplined you can make a profit. Here's some homework for you to improve your odds on picking more winners with prop bets.
- Prop Bets in general - Prop bets should not be considered a get rich quick plan. Prop bets should be another bullet in your sports betting holster, not the entire arsenal. Stay patient and keep your eyes open to opportunity.
- Do the math - Every successful bettor knows about probabilities, so should you. Take a look at the numbers and try to determine the % of your desired outcome, then decide if the payoff is worth the risk. e.g. If the prop bet is Ray Rice will score a TD 3-1 and you think Rice has a 50% chance of scoring, make the bet.
- Prop Bets, more than just an average - All sportsbooks post prop bets based on season long averages, these are great bets for fantasy sharks. All fantasy players know how quickly things can change during the season and how sometimes minor injuries can have big impacts. Making prop bets before the general public catches is easy money.
- Prop Bets keep it current - Apply new information quickly. Keep an eye on the guys listed on NFL injury reports, particularly the game-time decisions. Gameplans are often adjusted on these injuries and you can pick up some juicy bets by acting accordingly. If you see a team de-activate one of its top three corners, check the opposing QB for head to head matchups, pass attempts and pass completions. You can be sure the offensive coordinator will test the back ups with more pass attempts.
- Prop Bets bread & butter - Always check the point spread to see which teams are heavily favored. Sports bettors have always known when teams grab a big lead will try to kill the clock by running the ball. Conversely, the opposing team will be throwing every down in an attempt to catch up. These are great games to consider prop bets that deal with rushing, receiving and pass attempts.
Prop bets are fun, exciting and can be profitable too. Increase your knowledge of probabilities, player matchups and gameplans so you will have a big advantage when making prop bets.